What type of foods should you include in your storage? You O One should include a variety of products. One could live on rice and beans, but would you and your family really want too. I know my family would not; they would rebel after several days. I suggest having a variety
of products that range from fruits, vegetables, meats, beans, dairy, grains and the basics. The easiest way to determine these items is to take your favorite recipes and see if it is possible to convert the recipe to a food
storage recipe. To convert the recipe it might take a variety of methods of food: freeze-dried, dehydrated, commercial canned goods, home canned foods.
NOTE: Never depend on just one type of food storage or just a couple of items. One needs a variety of foods during an emergency to keep a positive attitude / moral during a crisis and of course the
How will you pay for this food storage / Home Storage?
There are several different ways to begin this process.
- Purchase one or a few extra items each grocery shopping trip. Then place these extra items into your food storage / home store. Example: Instead of buying one bag of pasta, buy two.
NOTE: Start by building a small supply of food and then gradually increase your home store from 2 weeks of food to 3 months of food. And don’t forget to rotate your supplies.
- And to help financially while purchasing: purchase items on sale : there are some great sites on the internet or your cell phone to help search for the best deals - one such app is called Favado
use coupons: store coupons (also check out each store website....Target offers coupons on their
site), manufacture's coupon (besides coupons in your newspaper, also try sites like Red Plum online or coupons.com,) additional cell apps to give additional discounts, facebook pages (just search coupon's) for sale deals
- Join a food program: with a local farmer, or local farmer's market, Zaycon foods, Costco, Sam's Club, Thrive Life etc...
- Reallocate money from your food budget: example - If you normally spend $400.00 a month on foods, then take the money you save with coupons and put towards purchasing food storage...so if you save $50.00 in coupons. You have $50 to spend on your food storage.
How will you acquire these items?
- Grocery Store
- Super stores
- Farmer’s Markets
How will you store these items?
- Storage Containers – use only food grade containers that will exclude light, oxygen and moisture
- 5 gallon bucket – need a tight fitting lid with a rubber gasket. A bucket can be used to hold grains, beans etc....
Note: Never use buckets that have contained chemicals, paint etc. Restaurant / Deli food grade containers are acceptable, wash them well and rinse with bleach and water.
- #10 size Cans – this size can holds a gallon of food. Most long term food storage companies use this size can. Or if you have access to a LDS cannery you can chose to can your own food.
- Pantry Can – Most long term food storage companies use this size can.
- Mylar Bags – can be used to store bulk items in with a oxygen absorber before sealing